We’ve gotten a huge surge in followers recently (possibly due to that Tumblr spotlight thing — woohoo!), so for all our new followers (and those of you who want a refresher) here’s a brief tour of Diversity in YA:
Who We Are
We are two young adult authors, Malinda Lo and Cindy Pon, who started this project back in 2011. This is a passion project for us and an all-volunteer effort. We are so excited to see so many new followers! Here’s more about us.
Where We Are
Obviously we are here on Tumblr! But we are also at diversityinya.com. We usually post on Tumblr first, and then we archive our guest posts, features, and lists on our website. Basically, we love Tumblr, but it’s hard to search, so if you’re looking for info on a particular author or genre or anything specific, it’s best to use the search function at our website. You can also follow us on Twitter @diversityinya if you want to get our automated tweets about new posts.
What We Do
We celebrate young adult books that are about characters of color, LGBT characters, and/or disabled characters, as well as YA authors who are of color, LGBT, and/or disabled. To that end, we post:
- New Releases — Every week on Tumblr, and rounded up all in one giant post every month on our website.
- Book Lists — Lists of all kinds of diverse reads, including most recently 10 YA Books About African American Teens by African American Writers and 10 Diverse Love Stories for Valentine’s Day. Access the Book List tag on Tumblr or on our website.
- Guest Posts by authors of diverse releases: on Tumblr and on our website.
- Here’s all our research on statistics about diversity in YA, including plenty of pie charts.
Please note that we prioritize books with main characters who are POC, LGBT, and/or disabled. While we recognize that there are lots of books with diverse supporting casts, we’re primarily interested in diverse lead characters.
How to Contact Us
- Our Tumblr Ask box — for questions! Obviously. :)
- Our Tumblr Submission box — for you to tell us about your favorite diverse YA books.
- Our DiYA Title Submission Form — for you to tell us about a diverse YA book that is coming out in the near future.
(Publicists, publishers, and authors who are pitching us, please contact us via email; the info is on our Contact page. Thanks!)
And last but not least…
Don’t forget to enter our Giant Anniversary Giveaway before March 31, 2014! We’re giving away SEVENTEEN prize packs of four books each. It is awesome. We can’t wait for you to read these fantastic books. :)
Just the most amazing job ever!!!
Via the Darwin Foundation
If you’re a librarian looking for a beautiful and unique work environment, this could be the ideal opportunity for you! We need someone to carry out our ambitious plans to revitalize the library of the Charles Darwin Foundation for the Galapagos Islands. Come and join us in the Enchanted Islands. More information on how to apply:http://www.darwinfoundation.org/media/filer_public/2014/03/07/tor-librarian.pdf
Someone do this! Then post pictures so we can all live vicariously through you!